It was a bold move to say the least. Intricately packing up a few essential belongings, leaving behind friends and family, and transporting yourself to another part of the globe may seem crazy, but not when destiny is calling. Armed with only a 35mm SLR film photography camera, this young Panamanian-Mexican arrived in the concrete jungles of NYC and began to lay the groundwork for photography and cinematography genius.
After shooting over 150 album covers and directing over 40 music videos, this visionary took himself and his novel organization to the next echelon.
Hastings has shot and designed an unprecedented number of album covers for some of the biggest names in the music industry, and worked alongside artists as diverse as P. Diddy, Taylor Momsen, Marc Anthony, Jodeci, Wu-Tang, Eminem, KRS One, Jay-Z, Tribe Called Quest and Jeru tha Damaja to name a few. Utilizing his rolodex and personal expertise of cinematography (studied at NYU), the
young sage began directing music videos, commercial, short films and feature films soon after.
Bold and cutting edge, his videos mirrored the same originality and intensity found in his photographic work. Hitting heavy rotation on networks like BET, MTV and over 2 billion hits on You Tube the innovative videos like ‘Definition’ for Mos Def, Don Omar, Prince Royce, Gerardo Ortiz and WuTang solidified Hastings’ stance as a multi-faceted artist.
As well as music videos, Hastings has done branded content for NASCAR, Sprint, Samsung, MTV, DraftKings just to name a few.
In 2015, Hastings started the annual Official Latino Film Festival to provide opportunities to Latinx filmmakers and actors in the U.S. due to the lack of representation of his community in film and TV. He was able to land a partnership with HBO, Verizon Media and DIAGEO for the festival.
In addition to all of this, he produced, wrote and directed two indi feature films The Love Potion (2010) and most recently Venus de Macho (2019).
Hastings enjoys teaching and passing on his knowledge to other young artists, and will continue to do so in every project he takes on.
With more than fifteen years servicing the Music, TV and Entertainment industry with iconic visuals, Hastings has managed to touch some of the most popular projects of the two decade. Ranging from Photography to Directing a Motion Picture Movie, the elements found in his work are the true reflection of the diverse American Culture of today.
CREATIVE AGENCY PROJECTS
To review Danny Hastings’ Creative Agency reel Click Here.
- Creative Director and Producer of Latina Magazine Branded and Marketing Video Content (2015-2016)
- Writer, Director and Producer for Samsung branded content NBC Series MVTO featuring Panacea Project and various musicians (2016)
- Photographed the campaign for DRAFTKINGS featuring Patriots own “Gronkwoski” and NY Knick “Carmelo Anthony” (2015)
- Writer, Director and Producer of The Crossover a Sprint sponsored series about Basketball Players (2015)
- Writer, Director and Producer of NASCAR web series for Hispanic Heritage Month. (2014) Click Here
- Creative Director and Video Content Director for all Uptown Magazine Video Series (2014-2017) Click Here
- Directed and Produced “Ciroc Boyz” Marketing video campaign promoting Ciroc to the urban market. (2013)
- Creative Director and Producer of Statefarm handpainted mural at Bonaroo Festival (2010)
- Photographed the Campaign for Johnnie Walker Black Label featuring Alex Sensation. (2012)
- Photographed the Mezclazonic Heineken campaign featuring the top Latino DJ’s. (2010)
- Director and Producer of the video marketing campaign for Heineken “Mezclazonic” featuring the top Latino DJ’s. (2010)
- Commercial director for the national campaign of “Voto Latino”. The campaign showcased the celebrities Cameron Diaz, Padma Lakshmi and Brazilian actress Morena Baccarin. (2010)
- Directed Video Reel of Latino Youth Market sizzle reel for MTV 3 presented at the AHA convention by Nancy Tellet, VP of marketing for MTV3 (2009 – 2010)
- Online Video Director and Producer for non-profit “Sunflower Children” sizzle reel, founded by Omar Amanat and Helena Hodova. (2009)
- Art directed the first national Ciroc Campaign for P. Diddy – (2008)
- Photographed the award winning campaign “Pasa la Belleza” and “Vive Mejor” for Edelman Multicultural and Unilever. 2008 Ad Tech Awards Best Multicultural Campaign, Silver Addy for Best Consumer Website 2009 and (2008 – 2010)
- Assistant Creative Director and Director of Latino Marketing for Broadway show “Latinologues”. Created and written by Rick Najera and directed by Cheech Marin. Starring Eugenio Derbez, Rene Lavan and Shirley Rummierk . (2005)
- Creative Director and Photographer for Urban Latino Magazine. Photographed the covers of Zoe Saldana, Andres Arroyo, John Leguizamo, Lauren Velez, Angie Martinez, Nina Sky, and actor Kamar De Los Reyes. (2005-2007)
FILM AND TV
- Directed, Produced and Wrote “Los Cuentos De La Tulivieja”. A narrative suspense television show broadcast in Panama, Central America. Winner of the “TV Times Awards” for Best Production and Best Script (1999-2002)
- Director and Producer of the “Comedy Jump Off” DVD Stand Up Comedy Series, The Latino Connection Vol. 1 distributed by Imagine Entertainment.
hosted by Ruperto Vanderpool, and featuring Eric Nieves, The Ant Man, Mark Demayo, Mike Shawn and Smokey. (2005)
- Assistant Director for “CBS Multicultural Theater Comedy Showcase” in Los
Angeles, California. Worked under Rick Najera and Fern Orenstein from CBS VP of Casting. (2006)
- Director and Producer of “Comedy Jump Off” DVD Stand Up Comedy Series, The Latino Invasion Vol. 2 distributed by Imagine Entertainment hosted by Joey Vega, and featuring Imagine, Mark Viera, Rich Ramirez, Jason Andors and Andres Fernandez. (2007)
- Resident photographer and personality on the SiTV reality show competition “Model Latina” season 1. On camera host for SiTV on-line content. Danny interviews many prolific artists in the Latin community. (2008)
- Director and Producer of “Comedy Jump Off” DVD Stand Up Comedy Series, The Latino Explosion Vol. 3 distributed by Imagine Entertainment hosted by Rick Najera and featuring Arnold Acevedo, Willie Sweets, Angelo Lozada, Sara Contreras and Mike Yard. (2008)
- NICKELODEON LATAM – GRACHI director of Amor de Peliculas and Magia. Award Winning Nick production of Teenage miniseries music videos. (2012)
- NBC Director and Producer of Web Series MVTO featuring Panacea Project (2016)
- Executive Producer of A Hand of Bridge a short film by a member of IL DIVO (2016)
- Founder and Festival Director of the Official Latino Short Film Festival in Harlem NY (2015)
- Writer, Director and Producer of “The Love Potion” full feature film. Official Selection of the 2010 HBO NY Latino Film Festival, Official Selection of 2010 Friars Club Comedy Film Festival and Official Selection of
2011 San Antonio Latino Film Festival. (2010)
- Writer, Director and Producer of feature film “Venus De Macho” a comedy that explores genders with a NYC Latino Cast of talented actors. (2019)
To review Danny Hastings’ Music Videos Click Here.
- Music Video Director for multi-platinum artist Mos def and Talib Kweli “Definition”. Featured in VH1 “100 Greatest Hip-Hop songs of 1998” and MTV’s Top Ten Countdown. (1998)
- Video Director of the EPK for rap Multi-Platinum duo, The Clipse; Produced by Pharrell Williams from N.E.R.D. (2002)
- Music Video Director for songs “Este Camino”, “Mi Amor” for Latino rapper and activist Malverde. (2006)
- Music Video Director for “Es Dificil” by De La Ghetto. Reggaeton Multi-Platinum Artist. (2009)
- Music Video Director for “Please DJ” by Latin artist Yeyo. Music Video was chosen as one of the “Top 100 dance videos of all times” by MTV. (2009)
- Music Video Director for the biggest Latin music sensation of today, Grammy nominated debut album of Prince Royce. Music Videos “Corazon Sin Cara” and “Stand by Me” went on to generate 6 million views both directed and produced by Danny Hastings and album cover photographed as well. (2010)
- Music Video Director of the Latin urban anthem “Hasta Abajo” by Reggaeton Legend of the decade – Grammy nominated Don Omar. (2010)
- Music Video Director for “Sin Por Lo Menos” by Wason, “Yo Te Buscare” by Eddy K and “Sexiest” by Yahaira a featuring hip-hop star and TV personality Lil Mama. (2010)
- Music Video Director and Producer of NU WU – a WUTANG production featuring Raekwon and the Wu Tang Clan. (2011)
- Director of Prince Royce “Darte un Beso” almost at 1 Billion Hits on You Tube is Prince Royce biggest visited video of today. (2013)
- Director of Five Music Videos for Grammy Nominated and award winner Gerado Ortiz reaching 500,000,000 hits collectively. Hastings Directed Damaso, Vengo a Despedirme, Mañana voy a conquistarla, Quien se Anima y El Cholo. (2014-2015)
- Director of 3Ball Monterrey music video La Noche es Tuya. (2014)
- Director of Grammy Winner duo Black Violin music video Stereotype (2015)
- Director of Yunel – Sin Miedo Music Video(2016)
MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHY AND ART DIRECTION
To review Danny Hastings’ Music Photography Click Here
- First professional assignment was editorial photo shoot for The Source magazine of artist “House of Pain”. (1993)
- Photographed the album Cover of legendary HIP HOP artist KRS ONE “Return of the Boom Bap”. (1993)
- Photographed the album Cover of multi-platinum group Wu-Tang Clan “36 Chamber”, nominated by “Rolling Stones Magazine” as one of the100 most influential records of all times. (1994)
- Photographed the magazine Cover of classic magazine THE SOURCE “Cypress Hill” cover. (1994)
- Photographed the album Cover of multi-platinum artist Raekwon “Built in for Cuban Linx”. (1995)
- Photographed the album Cover of legendary HIP HOP artist KRS ONE “KRS ONE”. (1996)
- Photographed the album Cover of multi-platinum artist Keith Murray “The Most Beautifullest Thing in the World”. (1995)
- Photographed the Prestigious Magazine Cover for Vibe of multi-platinum group Wu-Tang Clan (1996)
- Photographed the album Cover of multi-platinum artist GangStarr “Moment of Thruth”. (1997)
- Photographed the album Cover of multi-platinum Bad Boy Recording artist THE LOX “Money Power Respect”. (1997)
- Art directed and photographed Marc Anthony’s multi-platinum, “Contra la Corriente”, and Grammy winner “Todo A Su Tiempo”, (1998)
- Photographed the album cover of multi-platinum, Grammy Nominated album, Big Pun “Capital Punishment”. (1998)
- All photographs for Eminem’s debut album, “Slim Shady” inside the album were taken by Danny Hastings. The album went on to sell over 10 million copies worldwide. (1999)
- Photographed the album Cover of multi-platinum Bad Boy Recording artist THE LOX “The Streets”. (2000)
- Photographed the album Cover of multi-platinum Def Jam Recording artist Method Man and Red Man “Blackout”. (2000)
- Photographed the album cover of multi-platinum artist Big Pun “Yeah Baby”. (2000)
- Photographed Nas I Am. I Am was nominated for the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Rap Album. (2000)
- Photographed the album Cover of multi-platinum artist GangStarr “Ownerz”. (2001)
- Art directed and Photographed the CD and DVD of popular Bachata Band “Aventura”. KOB Live (2006)
- Photographed the Album Cover for award winner The Orphans featuring Don Omar (2010)
- Photographed the Album Cover for Prince Royce self titled album.(2010)
- Photographed the number 1 billboard album Bad Meets Evil featuring Eminem and Royce da 59 (2013)
- Photographed the number 1 rock album The Pretty Reckless “Going Down” featuring Taylor Momsen. (2014)